Things I did in 2017:
– I wrote and produced Ronald Reagan: Time Traveler, which debuted at the Minnesota Fringe Festival in August, 2017.
– Raw Sugar, in partnership with Theatre Unbound, commissioned me to write a new comedy for WTF: the Women/Trans/Femme Playwriting Workshop. The play, “Sex, War, and Syphilis,” deals with U.S. government efforts during World War I to protect soldiers by policing young women’s sexuality. It will be produced, along with two other one acts, at the Crane Theater in April, 2018.
– I co-produced American Civic Forum‘s A Great and Happy People series, and put together the May show on immigration.
– I became a founding member of The Playwright Cabal, “an ambitious group of female-identified professional playwrights who promote the development of new scripted plays in the Twin Cities and one another’s success.” I am also in the process of designing our website.
– I was selected for Nautilus Music-Theater’s 2017 Composer-Librettist Studio — an intensive workshop during which five playwrights and five composers wrote songs for five performers during a two-week period. It was amazing, and radically changed my understanding of what musicals can be.
– I started writing a historical musical about the emotional battles over a Minneapolis antipornography ordinance that divided the feminist movement in the early 1980’s.
Things I failed to do in 2017:
– Update my website.